The Bermuda Gold Cup (SSL 1000), one of the most prestigious Match Racing events in the world, starts today from the Royal Bermuda Yacht Club.
The trophy itself, the King Edward VII Gold Cup, is the oldest match racing trophy in the world.
Local sailor Joshua Greenslade and his team qualified thought winning the Bermuda National Match Racing Championship in mid-August by defeating Kelsey Durham, 3-1.
“It was a light air day,” said the 32-year-old Greenslade. “In the first two races, Kelsey got out in front of us but made a couple of mistakes that we capitalized on. He got away from us in the third race to win that one, and in the fourth race we played the shifts a little better and got in front and took it to the finish. It was a long, hot day and we were able to do just better than him and got the spot.”
2023 marks a return to match racing for Greenslade after a decade dedicated to running the Royal Bermuda Yacht Club youth sailing program.
The team, which includes Dale Brangman (mainsail trimmer) and Ruiri Brown (headsails trimmer) and Peter Dill (bowman), will be proudly wearing their SSL Team Bermuda shirts during the Bermuda Gold Cup.
With the event being in their own backyard, local knowledge could give the home team an advantage, but Greenslade is very aware that this can’t be counted on against the world-class field. “We’ll get out there and see what we can do, hopefully cause some problems for the others. You like to think there’s local knowledge in the harbour, but it’s very hit or miss. I just hope the wind’s good and not super weird either way. I hope that I can see something that no one else sees, but I can’t guarantee that.”
The Bermuda Gold Cup is raced in 1936 International One-Design 33-foot keelboats. Racing starts on Monday 2nd October and is set to conclude with the final on Saturday 7th October.
71st Bermuda Gold Cup Skippers
- Gavin Brady (49, Auckland, New Zealand) – True Blue Racing USA
- Johnie Berntsson (52, Stenungsund, Sweden) – Berntsson Sailing Team
- Jeppe Borch (25, Copenhagen, Denmark) – Borch Racing
- Taylor Canfield (34, Miami, USA) – Stars+Stripes Team USA
- Pauline Courtois (34, Brest, France) – Match in Pink by Normandy Elite Team
- Nick Egnot-Johnson (25, Auckland, New Zealand) – KNOTS Racing
- Joshua Greenslade (32, Pembroke, Bermuda)
- Peter Holz (30, Chicago, Ill., USA)
- David Hood (Long Beach, Calif., USA) – DH3 Racing
- Eric Monnin (47, Immensee, Switzerland) – Capvis Swiss Match Racing Team
- Anna Östling (39, Lerum, Sweden) – WINGS
- Jeffrey Peterson (21, Santa Ana, Calif., USA) – Golden State Match Racing
- Chris Poole (34, Cold Spring Harbor, NY, USA) – Riptide Racing
- Harry Price (27, Sydney, Australia) – Down Under Racing
- Ian Williams (46, Lymington, England) – Chinaone.Ningbo
- Celia Willison (25, Auckland, New Zealand) – Edge Racing New Zealand
Find out more at bermudagoldcup.com