SSL Team GBR Captain Ian Williams (SSL GBR n°8) has won the 57th Congressional Cup in Long Beach (USA) for a fifth time. The British beats champion Taylor Canfield and SSL team USA helmsman 3-1 in the final matches of this thrilling five-day regatta. Ian Williams equals Canfield in a total of 5 victories in the iconic Match-Racing event in 57 editions.
“I was devastated not to be here last year; and even more gutted now that I remember what I missed,” said Williams. “I wanted to try to be the first to five wins so it feels fantastic now to have matched Taylor. What a great competitor: to match him is fantastic; I guess now it’s a race to six!”
The two competitors have a long history and rivalry. In 2011 and 2012, Ian was first to win, then Taylor took the Cup in 2014, 2015 and 2016. But Ian stole it back in 2017, and then they traded wins in 2018 and 2019 again.
Ian Williams (GBR) and Team Gladstone’s Long Beach have won the 57th Congressional Cup – Photo by Ian Roman / WMRT
DID YOU KNOW?
The Congressional Cup is an SSL 1000-point event that counts for SSL Ranking.
- Competitions are classified into eight categories.
- Each category is granted a number of points to be awarded to the athletes, from 10 to 4000 points – 1000 points at The Congressional Cup.
- SSL points are awarded to account for 100% for the first year, 50% for the second year, and 0% for the third year
- The athletes’ six best results are taken into account according to the system mentioned above (and all local regattas)
- All athletes who complete a round of a regatta included in the Ranking obtain at least one point.